Yesterday I shared the signs that your fire for God was cooling off that I learned on In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley. But not to leave you in your wilderness, here is the list of how to get that fire started again:
1. Recognize what is happening in your heart.
2. Recall your life when you were on fire for God. What was it like when you only wanted to sing His praise and tell of the wonders you saw in your own life?
3. Repent: This can be a tough pill to swallow, but sin is anything that separates us from God. Repent of not praying as you ought to, misspending His money, following temptations; only you know what has come between the two of you.
4. Refocus your attention on God, not on the difficulties you are facing or temptations in life.
5. Read the Word of God daily: Ask God to speak to your heart as you read. Remember: what wood is to the fireplace the Bible is to Christian life.
6. Seek the face of God in prayer: Skip the "gimme" prayers and sincerely ask to hear from God, ask for relationship with Him.
7. Get involved in the lives of others. Pour yourself into someone else's life; selfishness is not of God.
8. Persevere: Be absorbed in your quest for relationship with God. Life throws a lot at us to distract us from looking for God. Don't fall prey.
9. Rely upon the Holy Spirit to enable you. Don't try to get right with God under your own power, because you will be denying the help of the One who wants you back.
Dr. Stanley based his sermon on the letters of Paul to Timothy to encourage him to burn brightly for God. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we all let our light shine so that when people look at us, they can't deny the power and love of God? "Rely on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace." 2 Timothy 1:8-9